STMicroelectronics Introduces First Automotive CAN ESD Protection Devices Compliant with All Key Interface Protocols
The ESDCAN02-2BWY and ESDCAN03-2BWYare automotive-grade dual-line Transil™ devices that leverage ST’s long-term leadership in transient protection devices1 and its deep understanding of the automotive market2. The unique combination of parameters, including an ultra-low capacitance of 3.5pF and 24V minimum stand-off voltage, has produced the world’s first CAN protection devices to comply with all major interfaces, including CAN-FD, LIN, FlexRay, MOST, and SENT.
Key technical features of the new devices include:
- Low capacitance (3.5 pF, max), leading to a BOM reduction and design simplification for high bit-rates.
- An SOT323 package, smaller than all existing solutions, that helps minimize PCB area.
- The ESDCAN02-2BWY with 28V minimum VBR meets automotive reverse battery requirements.
- The ESDCAN03-2BWY’s very low VCL of 35V max is the best clamping voltage on the market.
- Both devices are ISO10605-compliant, managing ESD surges up to the maximum ±30kV covered by the standard, ensuring robustness in the application.
Housed in an ultra-compact SOT323-3L package, the new devices are available in volume at a price of US$0.078 in quantities of 100 units.
1 IHS bi-annual TVS Diodes and ES Protection World Report, November 2013
2 According to Strategy Analytics, ST is the no.3 automotive semiconductor supplier worldwide (Automotive Semiconductor 2014 Vendor Market Shares, April 2015)