Supported Ethernet Technologies: EtherCAT® Industrial Protocol (Beckhoff)
Supported Operating Systems: LAN9252 EtherCAT SDK for EtherCAT Slave Stack Code v. 5.11, EtherCAT SSC is available from the ETG at EtherCAT.org
Bus Interface: Microchip’s LAN9252 is a 2/3-port EtherCAT slave controller with dual-integrated Ethernet PHYs
The LAN9252 includes a 3-port EtherCAT slave controller with 4K bytes of Dual Port memory (DPRAM), 4 SyncManagers, 3 Fieldbus Memory Management Units (FMMUs) and a 64-bit Distributed Clock. It supports 4 Process Data Interfaces – SPI/SQI, HBI and a 16-Bit Digital IO. SPI and SQI (high-speed SPI) provide a low pin count synchronous slave interface that facilitates communication between the device and a host system. Whereas, the Host Bus Interface facilitates the same via a high-speed asynchronous slave interface. For simple digital modules without micro-controllers, the LAN9252 can also operate in Digital I/O Mode where 16 digital signals can be controlled or monitored by the EtherCAT master. The LAN9252 can also be configured to operate via a single 3.3V supply utilizing an integrated 3.3V to 1.2V linear regulator. The internal linear regulator may also be disabled, allowing usage of a high-efficiency external regulator for lower system power dissipation.
Features & Benefits
- Dual-integrated 10/100 Ethernet physical layer devices which reduce BOM cost, decrease board size and increase reliability by being integrated in the LAN9252.
- Cable diagnostics for ease of implementation time and network “up” time. Allows detection of open, short, distance to fault and cable length.
- Support for 100Base-FX fiber. Gives system developers the flexibility of selecting their preferred media.
- Extended temperature range for harsh factor floor environments.
- Optional third port for network topology flexibility.
- Fully compliant to the EtherCAT Specifications
- Four SynchManagers and three Fieldbus Memory Management Units
- 64-bit Distributed Clock
- 4 KB of Dual-Port Process Memory
- Motor motion control
- Process/factory automation
- Communication modules and interface cards
- Power grids
- Building automation
- Hydraulic and pneumatic valve systems
- Operator interfaces
The LAN9252 is available in commercial, industrial and extended industrial temperature ranges and comes in either a 64-pin QFN or a 64-pin QFP-EP.
The following development tools are also available:
- LAN9252 – Add-on for EL9800 Development Platform (EVB-LAN9252-ADD-ON)
- LAN9252 – EtherCAT Slave Controller Evaluation Kit with KBI PDI Interface (EVB-LAN9252-HBI+)
- LAN8252 – EtherCAT Slave Controller Evaluation Kit with DIG-IO PDI Interface (EVB-LAN9252-DIGIO)