Two-Channel, Bi-Directional Digital Isolators Reduce Space and System Complexity for Designers
Maxim Integrated’s digital isolators provide robust galvanic isolation for designers.
Designers can save space and achieve more flexible designs with the MAX14933 and MAX14937 two-channel, bi-directional digital isolators from Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM). They transfer digital signals between circuits in both directions and provide complete galvanic isolation between two power domains, all while using fewer components to save board space.
- More information about the MAX14933 ›
- More information about the MAX14937 ›
- A schematic is available for download ›
- A hi-res image is available for download ›
The MAX14933 and MAX14937 are the newest additions to Maxim’s recently introduced ultra-robust portfolio of quad-channel digital isolators, which include MAX14930–MAX14932 and MAX14934–MAX14936. These devices provide best-in-class speed, propagation delay, skew, and jitter for timing sensitive applications while maintaining an extremely robust isolation barrier between two power domains.
Digital isolators are replacing optocouplers in many applications because they offer the same isolation capabilities while using less board space and consuming less power. The MAX14933 and MAX14937 provide high voltage isolation of 2.75kVRMS or 5kVRMS, respectively. They support data rates from DC up to 1.7MHz and can be used in isolated I2C busses with or without clock stretching. Both products feature independent 2.25V to 5.5V supplies on each side of the isolator, and provide open-drain channels for applications that require data to be transmitted in both directions on the same line. Applications include power supplies, battery management systems, instrumentation, and interfaces for I2C, SMBus, or PMBus.
- Space savings: Lowers component count and system complexity
- Flexible interface: Interfaces with most microcontrollers and FPGAs running at various supply voltages
- Robust galvanic isolation: More than 30 years lifetime at rated working voltage
“These I2C, two-channel, bi-directional digital isolators provide a solution for designers who want to lower component count and system complexity,” said Tony Partow, Executive Business Manager at Maxim Integrated.
Availability and Pricing
- The MAX14933 is available in both a 16-pin wide-body (10.3mm x 7.5mm) and narrow-body (9.9mm x 3.9mm) SOIC package. The MAX14937 is available in a 16-pin wide-body (10.3mm x 7.5mm) SOIC package.
- Pricing starts at $1.80 for the MAX14933ASE and $2 for the MAX14933AWE (1000-up, FOB USA). Pricing starts at $3.29 for the MAX14937AWE (1000-up, FOB USA).
- Both products are specified over the -40°C to +125°C temperature range.
- An evaluation kit is available for both products: MAX14933WEVKIT# and MAX14937WEVKIT#.
- For more information about the family of products, visit http://bit.ly/Maxim_Digital_Isolators.
About Maxim Integrated
Maxim is bringing new levels of analog integration to automotive, cloud data center, mobile consumer, and industrial applications. We’re making technology smaller, smarter, and more energy efficient, so that our customers can meet the demands of an integrated world. Learn more ›